Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Power of Prayer

Today in my Gospel Essentials class, we had a friend of my visiting teacher come to visit the church.  Her sister has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and she and her family are struggling with the situation.  She has been praying feverishly for a miracle and cure for her sister's illness.  It was so sad to see.  But it reminded me that prayers are answered in God's time, not ours.  They are answered by His will not ours.  I kept trying to explain two points to her.  
First, that we live according to God's plan for us and not ours.  It is God's will.  She understood that, but she wanted her will to be accomplished and for God to miraculously cure her sisters terminal cancer.  She kept telling us that she is praying and pleading with God (bargaining with Him) that she will do all sorts of things if He cures her disease.  I know that sometimes we don't understand why we go through some trials in our life, but hopefully if we rely on him, it will be easier to accomplish those task we need.  She also stated that if God does not answer this prayer, she will no longer believe in God.  She nearly broke my heart when she stated this.  I could not believe this statement.  Oh I wish she understood our role on earth and the Plan of Salvation.  I think it could help her in so many ways in life, particularly now.  She needs our prayers that she finds peace, strength and courage to handle this situation.
Secondly,  when we pray, we need to pray to assist us to handle the situation.  Don't get me wrong, I sometimes pray for a solution to my problems, but my greatest testimony of Prayers being answered have always been when I asked for the strength and courage to deal with the situation as oppose to a solution to the problem.  God will provide you with the strength and courage we need to deal with the situation, if you ask in faith.  
In posting this, I hope this lady finds the courage to ask God in faith to provide her the strength, courage and faith to handle whatever His plan is for her and her family.  I pray that she may come to peace with the ending, whatever it maybe and be able to grow in faith and life beyond this time.  
Do any of you have an suggestions, I maybe able to forward to her?

No comments:

Post a Comment